Thursday, April 9, 2009

CU Glitter anyone?

Hey guys, I have a proposal for you.

I recently figured out how to make SEAMLESS glitter textures, so I can fill an entire 12x12 paper with glitter, no funky lines. It's awesome, and it has way increased the quality of my glitters. Anyway, thus far my glitters (the few I've put up on this blog) have been personal-use freebies. I will continue to do those when I make kits, but I was wondering if there's anyone out there who would like a custom glitter set, from your own color palette, for COMMERCIAL USE, for a small donation. You could use it any way you like (except to redistribute the exact files I give you and claim them as your own) -- you could make your own kits for freebies or to sell, make your own pretty glitzy alphas, or anything you want.

The downside of this plan is that I am not affiliated with any shops, so you would have to trust me and take my word for it (and Paypal's) that I'm an honest person who will do what I say I will. Hopefully in the future I'll be able to hook up with a shop, but for now this is all I can do.

Let me know what you think. Here's my proposal:
-You make a $3 donation to my Paypal account.
-You e-mail me a color palette, up to 5 colors (or buy an additional 5 colors for $2 extra).
-I give you an estimate of the amount of time it will take (most likely 24-28 hours, unless crazy things are happening)
-When I'm done, you get the following:
*12x12 SEAMLESS glitter papers matching each of the colors you sent me
*A custom set of layer-styles to use in Photoshop, applying the glitter texture to your images and/or text.
*Permission to use these files for making your own kits, as freebies or to sell.

This is just a "feeler" post; please comment here with some feedback for me if you'd like to see some custom CU glitter! :) How do you feel about this proposal?


  1. I think your proposal is fine. What I would really love though would be if you could teach me and others how to make our own glitter papers!

    I am really into learning these days and would love to learn this technique.

  2. Jody, it's not a huge secret. :) There is a program called ArtRage 2 that allows you to paint with metallic paints, and costs about $25 (though be warned, the glitter looks awful unless you have a tablet pen as well; it tends to pile up on itself). I happen to have this program. That's it. :) Then you can import the glitter-filled image into Photoshop and turn it into a seamless texture.

  3. Wow Kimi, I'd totally take you up on that, but I don't know how to use the glitter files! I've got several freebie ones, but they just sit in a folder untouched 'cause I don't know how to use them!

    P.S. What's your favorite program for creating digi-scrap stuff? I'd still love to get into designing, but all I have is PSE right now.

  4. Marie -- You can simply open the .asl file, if there is one, from File > Open, in PSE. Then find the Styles palette, and you can just click on the glittery squares to apply that glitter to whatever your layer is.

    I use Photoshop CS4, which you can get pretty cheaply if you are a student, or fairly cheaply if you do a search through Google > Shopping. We got ours from, I think, but you have to go through Google to get the awesome prices.

    However, Val (geniaBeana) uses PSE and does awesome designing. I'm sure there are other designers out there who use it too. It's definitely possible, it's just not as beefy as Photoshop.

  5. I've been thinking of buying artrage and would love to hear your views on it as a program.

  6. I'd LOVE to get CU glitter from you!! But you already knew that;) Do good friends have to pay the $3, or are we exempt? :D